Home: Citizen of Heaven




Hi friends!
I hope that all is going well in your lives! I also hope that this post can encourage you in some way. It's something that means a lot to me, and I hope that you enjoy it!

Philippians 3:20
"But we are citizens of heaven, where the Lord Jesus Christ lives. And we are eagerly waiting for him to return as our Savior."

A while ago, I was reading this passage while listening to Tauren Wells' song, "Citizen of Heaven" (I did not plan that!). And I was kind of like, "Oh that's cool!" But then I thought, maybe God is trying to tell me something more.

At that time, living in Africa, I was kind of confused on where my home was. Was it in California or in Africa? Sometimes I felt like California was home, but other times I felt like the ship was home. I didn't really know.

But as I read that passage and listened to that song, I kind of realized that it's okay if I don't really know where my home is in the long run, because Earth is just my temporary home. Heaven is my home. That's where I belong. So, I think that was what God was trying to tell me. To not forget who I am, and to whom I belong.

Today I was watching Lauren Daigle's video on why she wrote the song "This Girl". She said something that really struck me. She said

"I was in Australia, and I saw this word etched in a rock. And it was the word home. And I was just so bent, I thought "Oh my gosh! I'm supposed to move to Australia! Yeah! It's my dream come true!". And here I am sitting there, and I'm just searching for home. Because I'd been torn for a while, I just felt like this little moment of being homesick everywhere I was at. Even when I was home, I was still homesick. And I had a conversation with God about it and He just said something really simple. And it was, "Lauren, as long as your heart is found in me, you'll never be homesick, you'll never be too far gone. As long as you can just see the way that I see you, as long as you find that security in me, then you'll never have to worry about searching for home again."And, um, it really meant a lot to me, I think just because a lot of times we feel like we're a lot further gone than what we actually are." 

You don't have to worry about searching for home. You're already found in Jesus. You're a citizen of heaven! You know where you belong! Jesus will always be there for you, waiting with open arms whenever you need Him. You're never too far gone to be accepted by Jesus. He will always accept you.

This really helped me to see that it was (and still is) okay for me to not really know where to call home, because home is really where Jesus is. I am a citizen of heaven and my identity is found in God and God alone. 

I hope that this encouraged you! Remember that you are a child of the King, don't act like an orphan!

Comments