Ship Life Q&A

This was on the bow during our sail from Senegal to Tenerife.

Hi friends!
I hope that you are having the best Saturday! I asked a couple of my friends to write some questions about ship life for me to answer. I hope that you enjoy! Also, if you have any questions, please let me know!

Little Update: On 20 May 2020, my family left the ship and flew back to California where we are currently quarantining.

Q: What is your favorite class in school? Why?
A: My favorite class in school is definitely history. I love learning about the world, and I also love old time periods so it is exciting for me to learn about them. My teacher is also amazing so that is a big plus!

Q: Has anything changed since quarantine/corona?
A: Yes! A lot has changed! Our field service was supposed to end in the end of May/early June, but we had to end the field service in March. We couldn't finish surgeries for some patients which was super sad but we know that God has a good plan for them! On 27 March 2020 we left Senegal to sail for Tenerife in the Canary Islands. We arrived in Tenerife a couple of days later and the ship has been quarantined/isolated there ever since. Before we left Senegal there were a couple of "mass Exoduses" which was a little hard. (Just in case: what I mean by "mass Exoduses" is that a lot of crew left :) School hadn't really changed, only the fact that we couldn't do PE on the dock. My family left the ship for the States on Wednesday, 20 May.

Q: Have you seen any new movies that you absolutely love?
A: This is a musical but.... NEWSIES!!! Oh my gosh! It's so good! You need to watch it! (The one with Jeremy Jordan). Also, Steel Magnolias is an amazing movie!

This was at the HOPE Center. (I am the one holding the sweet little baby :)

Q: What is it like living on a ship with all of the patients?
A: Amazing. It is so so so amazing. They are such a blessing and they always brighten up your day! They are always quick to smile and say hi! To have lived on the ship with patients felt strangely normal to me, many of them became friends of ours! It is an amazing experience that I will never forget and am so thankful to God for getting to have! I can't wait to see the patients again!

This is my sister, Georgia, and I with Cassie.

Q: How many friends and "family" have you made?
A: Oh too many to count! I feel like I know almost everyone on the ship (there are a couple though that I have yet to meet)! My ship sister is named Cassie and she is from Texas. Miss Beth is also a big part of my ship family. She is the whole reason we are at Mercy Ships! Two nurses named Becca and Kelly are also a really big part of our family. All six of the other junior high high school students are also my friends! So are my youth leaders. Still there are more. So yes, there are way too many to count!

Q: Do you ever get motion sickness?
A: No, I don't get sea sick. I took medicine on the first sail, but then I didn't really take it after.

Q: What is your favorite song?
A: This is a really hard question because I have so many!! I'll do my top three then. :) They are "Devil is a Liar" by Colton Dixon, "Still Rolling Stones" (Social Distancing Version) by Lauren Daigle (she is also my favorite artist), and "Upper Room" (Acoustic version) by Hillsong Worship. I also love Tauren Wells and Elevation Worship.

Q: What has been the best place you've visited?
A: Well in Africa, probably Bandia. Bandia is a safari/ reserve place near Dakar. It is so much fun! Best place not in Africa, probably the whole of Paris. It was so beautiful there!

Q: How do you get meals on the ship? Do you make your own?
A: There is a galley on the ship and the Galley Team makes all of our meals - breakfast, lunch and dinner everyday (except on Saturdays and Sundays you have to get your own lunch). There is a crew galley on board the ship, and it is right by my cabin which is very convenient :) Here crew can cook and make anything they want. There is a ship shop on board (and a Starbucks) where you can also buy a few things.

Q: What's your favorite Bible verse?
A: My favorite Bible verse, well I guess I should say verses, is Romans 8:35-39. It says (in the New Living Translation),
"Can anything ever separate us from Christ’s love? Does it mean he no longer loves us if we have trouble or calamity, or are persecuted, or hungry, or destitute, or in danger, or threatened with death? (As the Scriptures say, “For your sake we are killed every day; we are being slaughtered like sheep.” No, despite all these things, overwhelming victory is ours through Christ, who loved us. And I am convinced that nothing can ever separate us from God’s love. Neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither our fears for today nor our worries about tomorrow—not even the powers of hell can separate us from God’s love. No power in the sky above or in the earth below—indeed, nothing in all creation will ever be able to separate us from the love of God that is revealed in Christ Jesus our Lord."

Q: What is your favorite Bible passage?
A: One of my most favorite Bible passages is called "Faith in Action" in the New International Version. It is Hebrews chapter 11. I highly recommend reading it!

Q: Do you do journaling on the ship?
A: I do. I don't do bullet journals - although I think those are super cool. In my journals I usually write prayers or write notes to Bible studies or the passages I'm reading in the Bible.

I hope that you liked this Q&A! If you have any questions feel free to ask!

Love Emma

Comments